Welcome to Thursday, a day that once seemed lost, with nothing exciting happening anywhere. But then that changed, and today I am celebrating some of the bookish events around the blogosphere, like Lexxie’s Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts; Kimberlyfaye’s TBR Thursday; and Christine’s Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts.
My featured book today is one that’s been on my TBR since February 2015, and it’s from an author I enjoy: Jane Smiley. Duplicate Keys is a story about a group of friends living in Manhattan. At the center of this circle is a rock band struggling to navigate New York’s erratic music scene, and an apartment/practice space with approximately fifty key-holders. One sunny day, Alice enters the apartment and finds two of the band members shot dead. As the double-murder sends waves of shock through their lives, this group of friends begins to unravel, and dangerous secrets are revealed one by one.
Here’s a “foodie” excerpt. Some of the group gather to eat dinner and commiserate about their lost friends:
“The key turned in the lock and the door flew open. It was Ray with a huge bag of food. In a moment Rya appeared, shooting straight for it, then moaning over the mo-shu pork, the oysters with straw mushrooms, the gong-bao chicken with charred red peppers and cashews, the sizzling rice soup, the shrimp toast. It must have cost Ray twenty-five or thirty dollars. And there were shao-mai dumplings at the bottom. Rya reached into the bag, her red fingernails promising to impale rather than to grasp one of the delicious hors d’oeuvres. Alice stood up. She was hungry, too.”
Why have I not read this one sooner? Like the fate of many of my e-books that “hide” out on Pippa, I bought it because I really wanted to read it…but I got distracted by other books, especially review books.
This year, I am working hard on clearing out my Kindle.
Over at Bookishly Boisterous, Christine shares random thoughts in her Thursday posts:
- Just when I thought I had hurdled most of the side effects for my new medication, another cropped up last night: insomnia. Seriously, I don’t think I slept a wink, and here I am, wide awake at 5:00 a.m.;
- I read and reviewed three books so far this week; I think there will be at least one more;
- Over at my An Interior Journey blog, I wrote a post about getting ready for Bloggiesta, which is beginning on March 21. I always love and enjoy this event. My Curl up and Read site is where I’ll focus most of my energy;
- I’m clearing out my DVR of movies I’ve recorded over the past few weeks. One was an HBO special on Roberta Flack; another was a movie with Emma Thompson called Wit, in which she portrays a woman dying of cancer. Cheerful, right? She narrated what was happening with a dry wit;
- Here are Bella and Lilly (below), celebrating their second birthday. They are my step-great-granddaughters…peeking in on them is older brother Maddix;
What are your thoughts on a Thursday? What book did you grab off of your TBR Mountain?