Welcome to Thursday, a day that once seemed lost, with nothing exciting happening anywhere. But then that changed, and today I am celebrating some of the bookish events around the blogosphere, like Lexxie’s Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts; Kimberlyfaye’s TBR Thursday; and Christine’s Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts.
My selection today is a book that has been on my shelves since September 2014: Virgin River, by Robyn Carr.
In our “food” section today, our MC has just responded to an ad for a nurse practitioner in Virgin River, a mountain town. But when she arrives, she is severely disappointed at the cabin, the lack of food, etc. The woman who signed her up for this place sarcastically offers her a meal at a nearby tavern.
“…The bartender set down a bowl along with a napkin and utensils, then stood there awaiting her. He held the chair for her….She dipped her spoon into the stew and gave it a taste. He hovered near the table for a moment. Then she looked up at him and said in some surprise, “This is delicious.”
“Squirrel,” he said.
“Just kidding,” he said, grinning at her. “Beef. Corn fed.”
Why has this book been on my TBR for so long? Already, I am fascinated by the story, the descriptions, and how it pulled me in. Melinda, our MC, has been recently widowed and is searching for something new in her life. But will she find it here? I can’t wait to discover what happens next.
Now for some Bookish/Non-Bookish Thoughts:
- The rain has been replaced by sun in the past couple of days, but more rain is coming, according to the weather people;
- Yesterday’s doctor’s appointment was uneventful, except she changed one of my prescriptions, and I’m a little nervous…what new side effects might appear? I have a fear of the side effects of most meds being worse than the original disease;
- My daughter is throwing a grand party for her 40th birthday in August: a cruise, to which she is inviting friends and family;
- I finished the complete Season 4 of House of Cards on the weekend…I couldn’t stop watching until the last episode! Now for another long wait (a year) for Season 5.
- I’m reading a book I featured here a couple of weeks ago, and really enjoying it, a testament to how good those older TBRs can be! A Long Time Gone, by Karen White, on my shelves since August 2014.
That’s it for this week…what books are you spotlighting today?
Here I am in my mini-office: