Welcome to Thursday, a day that once seemed lost, with nothing exciting happening anywhere. But then that changed, and today I am celebrating some of the bookish events around the blogosphere, like Lexxie’s Thirsty Thursday & Hungry Hearts; Kimberlyfaye’s TBR Thursday; and Christine’s Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts.
My featured book today has been on my TBR since July 2014. Buried in a Bog, by Sheila Connolly, takes the reader to Ireland, where our MC, Maura Donovan, fulfills her grandmother’s last wish for her to visit the village Leap, to find some kind of treasure.
Our “foodie” section – Thirsty Thursday/Hungry Hearts:
“…Ellen set a plate heaped with food in front of Maura.
” ‘Oh, my. What’s this?’ She poked a round slice of something the color of tar.
” ‘Blood sausage—Clonakilty’s famous for it. You don’t need to eat it if you don’t want to.’
” ‘It really is made from blood?’
” ‘That it is, among other things. Give it a try.’
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as Gran had often said. Ellen watched, Maura quartered the piece, speared a quarter with her fork, and stuck it in her mouth. She chewed thoughtfully. Not bad, as long as you avoided thinking about what it was made from. There were a lot of chopped oats in the mix somewhere, and a touch of seasoning. Definitely not American sausage….”
(I lost my appetite!)
For TBR Thursday: I can’t imagine why I haven’t read this one yet! Soon…
Honoring the wish of her late grandmother, Maura Donovan visits the small Irish village where her Gran was born—though she never expected to get bogged down in a murder mystery. Nor had she planned to take a job in one of the local pubs, but she finds herself excited to get to know the people who knew her Gran.
In the pub, she’s swamped with drink orders as everyone in town gathers to talk about the recent discovery of a nearly one-hundred-year-old body in a nearby bog. When Maura realizes she may know something about the dead man—and that the body’s connected to another, more recent, death—she fears she’s about to become mired in a homicide investigation. After she discovers the death is connected to another from almost a century earlier, Maura has a sinking feeling she may really be getting in over her head…
Here are some Bookish/Not So Bookish Thoughts:
- Yesterday, I went to Cheesecake Factory with a friend…soup, and a slice of cheesecake…delicious! But I was too full to eat dinner later!
- How can it be Thursday already? It was just Monday a minute ago…or so it seems;
- Yesterday I found some old photos in a box and scanned them. Here’s one of me and my daughter when she was a baby…thirty-some years ago! Oh, that hair of mine! Yikes….
- Currently, I’m reading a book called Domestic Secrets, by Rosalind Noonan, a book about friendship, secrets, and shattering revelations…good, right?
- I need to do a little housework…ugh! Cleaning the microwave by steaming a bowl of water and vinegar…I’ve heard it makes the task easier;
- Now I’m off to visit some blogs….enjoy the day!
What is your Thursday like? Join in and share some thoughts….